Smoked Gouda Cheese Souffle
A fluffy and light, easy to make Smoked Gouda Cheese Souffle. Great for a light appetizer or serve with berries and cantaloupe for a summery dessert. Serve these straight from the oven to keep them as fluffy as possible.
We review and suggest Cheese Making Kits here if you would like to get started with making cheese.
Makes 6 souffles
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour and extra flour to line the ramekins
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 cup of smoked or regular Gouda, shredded
- 1/4 tsp of dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of pepper
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/175 C.
- Rub the inside of 6 ramekins with butter, then dust them with flour to coat.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour, cooking and stirring together for about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk. Increase the heat and get the mixture up to a simmer. Whisking constantly, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add half of the cheese and whisk in until smooth.
- Add the thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Take the mixture off the heat. Slowly whisk the egg yolks into the Souffle base. Set aside to cool.
- In a cold stainless steel bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Mix about 1/4 of the beaten egg whites into the Souffle base. Fold in the remaining whites delicately and then fold in the second half of the crumbled cheese. Pour the Souffle mixture into your 6 dishes.
- Put these dishes onto the baking sheet.
- Bake the Souffles for about 20 minutes, or until a beautiful brown.
- Garnish with a couple slices of cheese and rosemary, and serve immediately.
Leave us a comment below about how your recipe turned out. Feel free to suggest ideas or what you would like to see in our recipes.