Raspberry Quark Cake
Quark makes a very light cake and goes perfectly with any fruit or berries. This cake has a baked crust, and a non baked filling. Alternatively, you can use a ready bake or frozen pie crust. If you don’t have any quark you can use Greek yogurt, a Bulgarian style yogurt, or Skyr. To learn how to make quark at home yourself click here.
We review and suggest Cheese Making Kits here if you would like to get started with making cheese.
Raspberry Quark Cake
- 1 ¼ cup of all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Lemon peel of half a lemon
- 1/2 a cup of butter or margarine cut into chunks
- 1/2 a cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of cream
Procedure for Homemade Crust:
- Combine flour, salt, sugar, lemon peel, and butter chunks. Mix with your hands while rubbing the butter pieces into the flour.
- Beat the egg into the cream.
- Mix the egg/ cream mixture into the dough. Briefly mix with your hands.
- Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Grease your pie dish.
- Place the dough between plastic or food wrap. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to the size of a 10 inch circle (9 inches plus 1 inch rim). Using your pie dish, place the dough inside while creating your 1 inch crust rim.
- Using a fork, poke holes into the bottom.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 220 C/ 430 F.
Homemade crust inside pie dish.
Ready bake pie crust
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups (400 g/ 14 oz) of quark or thick yogurt.
- 2 egg yolks.
- 2 egg-whites, beaten until stiff peaks form.
- ¾ cup of icing sugar.
- 2 1/2 cups of raspberries, preferably fresh, but frozen works as well.
- Juice of one lemon.
- 2 1/2 tsp of gelatin (usually one pouch of gelatin), and follow instructions to dissolve.
- ¾ cup of whipping cream, beaten until stiff peaks form.
Procedure to make the filling:
- Mix quark, egg yolk, and icing sugar.
- Using a food blender, puree the raspberries with the lemon juice.
- Mix raspberry puree with the quark mix.
- Prepare gelatin according to the instructions and mix into the raspberry puree/ quark mix.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Using a spatula, mix the whipped cream and the whipped egg-white into the quark mix.
- Pour the mix into the cooled pie shell.
- Refrigerate the cake for 3 hours or until firm.
- Decorate with berries and serve chilled.
Leave us a comment below about how your recipe turned out. Feel free to suggest ideas or what you would like to see in our recipes.